Monday 10 October 2011

How I spent thanks...

For all of you who didn't know...today was Canadian Thanksgiving - it was also my son Oscar's first!

Oscar (14 weeks) with Mummy
According to Wikipedia "the origins of the first Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean. Frobisher's Thanksgiving celebration was not for harvest, but for homecoming. He had safely returned from an unsuccessful search for the Northwest Passage, avoiding the later fate of Henry Hudson and Sir John Franklin. In the year 1578, Frobisher held a formal ceremony in Newfoundland to give thanks for surviving the long journey. Years later, the tradition of a feast would continue as more settlers began to arrive to the Canadian colonies".


As an Australian, this holiday is something I look forward to living in Canada. In fact, I love the whole month of October. First it becomes apple picking season, then the leaves begin to change, then comes the thanksgiving turkey feast, followed by pumpkin patch raiding and consequently the carving,  and lastly Halloween. The entire month is full of spicy fall flavours - mmmm pumpkin spice muffins and mulled apple cider, warm orange and red tones and spooky fun.

Our menu today was delish - we had the usual fare, turkey (organic free range from Rawdon), mashed tater, brussel sprouts & bacon, roast veg with sweet chili + feta, pools of gravy, loads of stuffing and homemade cranberry sauce. I made pumpkin pie with pear, caramel and pecan butter icecream for dessert.There was also apple cake, cider and plenty of wine - of which I did not indulge in.
I have so many things to be thankful for so I thought I would end this rant with a few....

** My family, all of them
** My healthy beautiful loving baby boy
** My own health, physical and mental
** For the internet
** For living in a peaceful, someone positively   controlled and free society
** For fancy coffee
** Glossy magazines
** Supermarkets
(Wow what a suzie homemaker list...no offence mum!)

So tell me.... the age old question....what are you most thankful for???? (please comment, as I can see no-one has yet!)


1 comment:

  1. Great post, Em!
    I am thankful for my family, my fiance and beautiful baby girl. Great friends (like you and your sisters :) ), a roof over my head and food in my cupboards, and to live in a peaceful place :)

    ReplyDelete